Tax Collectors and Sinners of today.

Matthew 9:9-13

"As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him. And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” But when he heard it, he said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”



Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners. He did this both literally and figuratively because this phrase became a metaphor for the most deplorable, treacherous people in the eyes of the religious elite. The tax collectors, especially the Jewish ones, were traitors to their people. To be associated with them would mark you as a traitor. Sharing a meal with them means that you considered them equals. Jesus was having a meal with enemies of the Jewish people. Enemies who, upon mention, would stir up emotions of anger, hatred, and fear. Jesus, this new rabbi, had the audacity to befriend them. 

So, I think it is appropriate to ask... Who are the "Tax Collectors and Sinners" of our day? Well, what would you think if you saw me eating with my family? What if I were eating with my Christian Family? Okay, normal so far. How about I am eating with a group of friends who aren't part of the church? Okay. You still don't think I've fallen off the deep end, so what if you saw me eating with a group of people you know to be sinful people? You might warn me about those folks, but I still don't think you would be appalled. 

If I REALLY wanted to shock you and get under a lot of peoples' skin, I would make it a point to have regular meals with a group of Muslims. Can you think of another group of people who more readily stirs up the same kind of emotions that the tax collectors stirred in the hearts of the "faithful" Jews? Anger, hatred, and fear are immediately kindled. These people are traitors. They don't belong here. They sympathize with the enemy! This is exactly how Jews of the first century viewed other Jews who would betray their people to collect taxes for their enemy, the Romans. I know there are obviously differences, but you can definitely see similarities. 

We are to emulate Christ. We are to follow his example. That means that we do whatever we need to in order to convert lost souls even if that means eating with those who are perceived as opposed to us. 

On a more practical level, we need to be engaged with people who are hated. The most hated people on this earth are sometimes the people with the softest hearts. They don't have pride or years of self-assuredness hardening their hearts. They can see our mercy opposed to how everyone else treats them, and that can be a starting point for a whole series of study. These are the people we are called to serve. We aren't just called to feed and clothe the needy. We are called to even dine with them (Luke 14:21). Fellowship with them. I believe most of us who call ourselves Christian, myself included, should be doing this more.

So, I ask anyone who reads this, what has your church done towards this goal? How can we make serving the hated part of our every day life? What excuses do we make as to why we aren't dining with the dregs of society? Did Jesus worry that people might think he condoned "X"? Should we? Can we? Will we? 

Comments

Popular Posts